The Best Dry Cat Foods of 2020
- Our Top List
- 1. Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- 2. Taste of the Wild Grain Free High-Protein Food
- 3. Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Food
- 4. Fromm FourStar Cat Food Gamebird
- 5. Orijen Cat & Kitten Dry Food
- 6. Purina Friskies Favorites Adult Food
- 7. Blue Buffalo Wilderness High-Protein & Grain-Free
- 8. Hill’s Science Diet Food
- 9. Purina Cat Chow Naturals Food
- 10. Purina ONE Urinary Tract Health Food
- Final Verdict & Review
- Nulo Adult & Kitten Dry Food
- Buying Guide
Your cat is an important member of your family. And, just like any other family member, you want to ensure they are eating a healthy and balanced diet. Choosing the right car food for your precious kitty isn’t always easy; there are so many options and it can be challenging to pick the best one!
To help make your decision a little easier, we have reviewed 10 of the best dry cat foods. Read through our reviews to learn a little more about each option to help you decide if it’s right for you.
Our Top List
Price / Value
Nulo Adult & Kitten Grain-Free Dry Food
Taste of the Wild Grain Free High-Protein Food
Wellness Core Natural Grain-FreeFood
Fromm FourStar Cat Food Gamebird
Orijen Cat & Kitten Dry Food
Purina Friskies Favorites Adult Food
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High-Protein & Grain-Free
Hill’s Science Diet Food
Purina Cat Chow Naturals Food
urina ONE Urinary Tract Health Formula Food
Your furry friend may just fall in love with the nutrient-packed taste of this Nulo food. This is a grain-free recipe, so you won’t need to worry about feeding your kitty fillers like corn or wheat. It is also made without the use of soy, white potatoes, tapioca, preservative, or artificial flavors and colors that you’re likely to find in lower-quality foods.
This cat food contains 80% animal-based proteins, providing your cat higher amounts of amino acids and lower amounts of carbohydrates. Nulo has also added their patented BC30 probiotic, which is designed to aid in digestion and support a healthy gut. The probiotic can also lead to an increased metabolism and a more responsive immune system, thereby contributing to the overall health of your cat.
The kibble is also fortified with DHA, calcium, and phosphorus. DHA is linked with increased cognitive development and less destructive behaviors, while calcium and phosphorus can aid in nerve impulse transmission and improving your cat’s skeletal system.
You can choose to purchase this food in a five- or 12-pound size. You can also choose from chicken or turkey flavors to match your cat’s preferences.
- Turkey and chicken flavors are both available.
- The added BC30 probiotic will help your cat with digestions and increase their metabolism.
- Nulo’s food contains higher amounts of amino acids and lower amounts of carbohydrates than many other options.
- It may be a bit hit or miss as to whether your cats will like the taste of this food.
Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Cat Food is likely to be a big hit with your cat. It is formulated with high-protein foods, fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and minerals to ensure your kitty’s nutritional needs are met.
This is a grain-free food that contains no wheat, corn, or other fillers. It also does not contain any added preservatives, artificial colors, or artificial flavors.
Fatty acids and probiotics have also been added to each bag of Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Cat Food. The fatty acids are designed to give your cat healthy skin and a shiny coat. The probiotics will aid in digestion and keep your cat’s gut healthy.
Taste of the Wild foods are made by a family owned and operated company in The United States. They follow scientifically advanced protocols to keep food safety and the health of your cat at the top of their priorities. This recipe is suitable as kitten food as well as adult cat food.
You can get this food in three flavors: Rocky Mountain – Venison & Salmon, Canyon River – Trout and Salmon, and Lowland Creek – Quail & Duck.
- There are three delicious flavor combinations that your cat is sure to enjoy.
- With the added probiotics, your cat will have a shiny fur coat and healthy skin.
- There is no grain or other fillers contained in this food.
- Some users of this cat food have shared that they have noticed a negative difference in their cat’s opinion towards it more recently.
If you’re looking for a natural food for your chicken and turkey loving cat, Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food is a great option to consider. This food features a grain-free formula and does not contain any animal by-products. It contains higher amounts of meat than many other dry foods to help your cat enjoy the taste while receiving a balanced diet.
This dry food is chock-full of antioxidants, probiotics, omega fatty acids, and other nutrients designed to provide the best nutrition for your kitty. The probiotics work to make sure your cat’s intestinal track is healthy and functioning correctly. The fatty acids work to give your cat a shiny fur coat and increase their immunity.
There are three bag sizes available for purchase: two pounds, five pounds, or 11 pounds. The two-pound size would be a great option to see if your cat will like this food. If you are looking for the best deal, the 11-pound bag comes out to be the cheapest per pound.
- The fatty acids in the food will increase your cat’s immunity and make their coat shine.
- There is no wheat, corn, soy, animal by-products, artificial colors, artificial flavors, or preservatives in this food.
- You can purchase a two-pound bag to try out this food and see if your cat will eat it.
- This food is not formulated to be used by kittens, pregnant cats, or nursing mothers.
Give your cat a tasty treat with Fromm’s FourStar Cat Food Gamebird Flavor. Duck, turkey, quail, and pheasant are found in this grain-free option. Also included in the recipe are a variety of fresh vegetables and fruit to provide essential nutrients to your cat to keep them healthy.
The guaranteed analysis printed on the bag states that each bag contains a minimum of 35% crude protein and a minimum of 18% crude fat. Taurine and Chicory root are also included in this food to promote the overall well-being of your cat. Taurine can add protection for your cat’s heart and eyes, and Chicory root can help reduce their chance of getting worms.
Fromm prepares this dry cat food in small batches. This helps ensure that the ingredients and nutrients found in each bag are consistent and help provide a high-quality product every time.
- The food is prepared in small batches to ensure quality and consistency.
- The duck, turkey, quail, pheasant, fruits, and vegetables contained in the food will provide your cat will a high-quality balanced diet.
- Taurine is added to the food to help protect your cat’s eyes and heart.
- You can only purchase this item in a five-pound bag, which makes it a more expensive item than some of the other foods on our list.
Orijen is a well-known and trusted name in the cat food industry. Your cat will enjoy the nutritious taste of Orijen’s Cat & Kitten Dry Food. Because your cat deserved only the best, the ingredients contained in this food are all natural, including wild-caught fish, cage-free eggs, and free-fun turkeys and chickens.
90% of the food in each bag contains animal ingredients, unlike other products that contain lots of grains or other fillers. The other 10% of the ingredients consist of fruits, vegetables, and botanicals. Orijen cat foods are designed to provide your cat with a biologically appropriate diet that will nourish and sustain them.
You can choose to purchase a 12-ounce, four-pound, or 12-pound bag. You’ll save the most per pound of food if you purchase the 12-pound bag, but you may want to start with a smaller size to make sure your cats will eat this food.
- Only natural ingredients, such as wild-caught fish and free-run chickens, are included in this dry food.
- You can purchase a 12-ounce bag to let your cats try it out.
- Up to 90% of the food in the bag contains animal ingredients.
- This is a more expensive option.
With seafood, beef, and poultry flavors mixing together in harmony, your cat is sure to enjoy Purina Friskies Surfin’ & Turfin’ Favorites Adult Dry Cat Food. The different pieces of kibble are shaped in different ways to keep your cat more excited about eating this food.
The ingredients in this dry cat food have been formulated to be enjoyed by both kittens and adult cats. The food is also designed to have an enticing aroma to attract your cat to her bowl at feeding time. When your cat enjoys their meal, they’ll be ingesting the essential vitamins and mineral the need to thrive.
You can purchase this cat food in sizes ranging from a 6.3-pound bag to a 22-pound bag. This will allow you to purchase the right amount to meet your needs and budget.
- Your cat will enjoy the mixed flavor combinations of poultry, beef, and seafood.
- The food has a delicious aroma designed to attract your cat and encourage them to eat.
- There are a variety of bag sizes available to purchase.
- If you are looking for a grain-free food, you should consider a different option.
Blue Buffalo’s Wilderness food is formulated for adult indoor cats. It contains lots of real chicken, so your cat is sure to love the taste. The grain-free formula is designed to help your cat’s digestion system and support a healthy weight.
Inside this dry food, you’ll also find Blue Buffalo’s exclusive LifeSource Bits. These include a blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that will help support your cat’s immune system and provide a healthy oxidative balance. The exact ratio of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants found in the LifeSource Bits is select by animal nutritionists and holistic veterinarians.
There are no animal by-product, corn, soy, wheat, preservatives, or artificial flavors found in this food. You can choose a five- or 11-pound bag when you purchase this cat food.
- The LifeSource Bits found in the food contain antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins to support your cat’s health.
- This is a grain-free food.
- There is a lot of real chicken in the food, so your cat is likely to enjoy the taste.
- The bag is not resealable, so you will need to find another way to keep the food fresh for your cats.
Many veterinarians recommend Hill Science Diet cat foods because of their ingredients and the positive effect they have on a cat’s health and helps with weight management. All cat foods made by Hill’s Science Diet are made in the United States with trustworthy ingredients from around the world; they do not contain any preservatives, artificial colors, or artificial flavors.
With the chicken-flavored, indoor adult cat formula, your cat will have their nutritional needs met thanks to the high-quality ingredients found in this food. Natural fibers and quality proteins work together to keep your cat satisfied, improve their skin and coat, and support healthy stools. DHA from fish oil is also found in this food to support your cat’s eye development and brain health.
- There are no artificial flavors, artificial colors, or preservatives in this food.
- The added DHA can help your cat’s brain and eyes develop.
- This dry food is made in the USA.
- This is not a grain-free option.
Another delicious chicken option to consider for your poultry-loving kitty is Purina Cat Chow Naturals Dry Cat Food. Inside this grain-free food made with delicious, real chicken, you’ll find all 25 of the essential vitamins and minerals your cat should be getting to promote her health. The first ingredient listed on this food is chicken, so you can be confident you are giving your cat the protein she needs.
You won’t find any grains, preservatives, artificial colors, or artificial flavors in this cat food.
- This is a grain-free cat food.
- All 25 essential vitamins and minerals your cat should be eating are in this food.
- There are no artificial colors, artificial flavors, or preservatives in this option.
- There is chicken by-product in this food, which you won’t find in many of the other foods we reviewed.
Purina ONE’s Urinary Tract Health Formula Cat Food is a great option to consider if your cat has any urinary tract issues. This food is designed to reduce your cat’s urinary pH. It also contains lower amounts of magnesium than other foods, since magnesium can contribute to urinary tract issues.
This food has a delicious chicken flavor that your cat will love. You’ll also find omega 6 fatty acids in this food, which will help give your cat a healthy and soft fur coat. The food is also made to be easy to digest, allowing your cat to fully benefit from all the nutrients found inside of it.
- This is a good food to consider if your cat has any urinary tract issues, since it will decrease their urinary pH.
- The omega 6 fatty acids found int eh food will help make our cat’s coat soft and full.
- This food is designed to be easy to digest for your cat.
- The first ingredient is corn gluten meal.
After completing our review of these 10 cat dry foods, we have determined that our top pick is Nulo’s Adult & Kitten food. Since this is a grain-free option, there are no fillers to worry about. Instead, this dry food is packed full of animal proteins; 80% of what your cat eats will be animal based proteins.
DHA to help your cat’s brain development and calcium and phosphorus to improve their skeletal system are also included in Nulo’s food.
Nulo’s BC30 probiotic is also found in this dry food option. This probiotic helps your cat have a healthy gut and aid in their digestion of the food. It can also help their immune system to be more responsive and increase their metabolism.
Since you can choose from either turkey or chicken flavor, you’ll be able to find the right flavor for your kitty. We think your cat will love Nulo’s food. And, you’ll love the fact that you are feeding your cat a cat food that will keep them happy and healthy for many years to come!
Choosing the right cat food for your kitty is important. You want to keep them healthy and well-nourished, so they can live and long and enjoyable life. There are a few key factors you should consider before selecting a new food for your cat.
Probably the most important thing you should think about is the ingredients. You want to find a high-quality food that is made using superior ingredients.
First, look at the first few ingredients listed on the product label. Since ingredients that occur in higher amounts are listed first, you want to make sure that the first few ingredients are high-quality meats. Look for specific types of animal meats or organs in these first few ingredients.
You may also want to consider where the ingredients come from. Is the food made using ingredients provided by farmers in the United States? You’re much more likely to get a high-quality food if the ingredients are sourced in the US.
Next to high amounts of real animal protein, you should also look for fruits and vegetables on the ingredient list. Some good examples include zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, or berries. Herbs, such as basil, thyme, rosemary, dill, or sage are also good additions to look for.
A high-quality cat food should also contain good fats. Often, these will occur naturally in the animal proteins included in the food, but some manufacturers may supplement with additional fats. Some key terms to look for include omega-3 fatty acids, DHA, EPA, or ALA.
Try to stay away from foods that include any of the following ingredients:
- Artificial colors of flavors
- Rendered fat
- Sodium Nitrite
- Sodium Nitrate
Your Cat’s Age and Dietary Needs
Another important consideration to make when purchasing a new food for your cat is the age of your cat and if they have any specific dietary needs. Some foods are designed for kitten, while others are designed for adults or senior cats. Special needs like diabetic or hypoallergenic cat food is also available, just as there is organic food if you want that. If your veterinarian has shared any dietary restrictions or recommendations, you should make sure to choose a food that matches these recommendations.
Taste is another important factor when choosing a food, since you want your cat to actually eat what you feed them. Since you clearly can’t taste their food yourself, a good way to get an idea of taste is by reading online reviews and seeing what other customers said. Though, every cat is different, so your cat may end up liking foods that other cats wouldn’t touch, or may not touch foods that others cats loved. If your cat doesn’t like dry food, you can also check our top list on wet cat foods here.
Next, you should also consider the available flavor options for the different foods you are looking at. If your cat has shown an interest in a particular ingredient, that food may be a safer bet.
Kibble size may be another factor you want to consider. If your cat has expressed an opinion about other foods or will only eat smaller pieces of kibble, you may want to determine the kibble size before making a purchase.
Finally, consider the different bag sizes that are available. It is great if a product offers a small bag that will let you try the food with your cat without purchasing a big bag that may go to waste. Likewise, it is also good if they offer a larger bag for a cheaper rate per pound once your cat has decided they like the food.
We are the Pet Cat Friends, a dedicated group of pet loving bloggers and product testers for all your meowy needs. We research, test, and review cat related products with the help of our collective 21 cats. Feel free to leave us feedback and treats!