The Best Cat Vitamins & Supplements of 2020
- Our Top 10 List
- 1. Tomlyn Immune Support Daily L-Lysine Supplement
- 2. Wild Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs & Cats Supplement
- 3. All-in-One Dog & Cat Probiotics
- 4. Nutramax Cosequin Sprinkle Capsules for Cats
- 5. Liqui-Tinic 4x Vitamin & Iron Supplement for Cats & Dogs
- 6. Feline Greenies Natural Dental Care Cat Treats
- 7. Life Extension Cat Mix
- 8. Nutramax Denamarin Tablets for Cats & Dogs
- 9. Makondo Pets Skin and Coat Supplement for Cats & Dogs
- 10. Oxy Momma – Nursing & Recovery Supplement
- Top 10 Verdict
- Tomlyn L-Lysine Supplement
A popular joke among vets is that vet who specializes on only one animal is called a doctor. And it’s true! As mammals, we have the same medial and psychological needs as other species, including the pets we keep. If we have a need for vitamins and supplements to stay healthy, so does your cat, dog, bunny, and whatnot!
We have tested and selected the top vitamins and supplements on the market this year. So let’s get right into it!
Our Top 10 List
Price / Value
Tomlyn Immune Support Daily L-Lysine Supplement
Wild Omega 3 Fish Oil for Dogs & Cats Supplement
All-in-One Dog & Cat Probiotics
Nutramax Cosequin Sprinkle Capsules for Cats
Liqui-Tinic 4x Vitamin & Iron Supplement for Cats & Dogs
Feline Greenies Natural Dental Care Cat Treats
Life Extension Cat Mix
Nutramax Denamarin Tablets for Cats & Dogs
Makondo Pets Skin and Coat Supplement for Cats & Dogs
Oxy Momma – Nursing & Recovery Supplement
The Immune Support is another widely preferred vitamin supplement among cat parents. Why? It packs in everything that a healthy cat needs. It offers support for optimum respiratory health, normal eye function, and a strong immune system.
It can do all those as it contains L-Lysine that helps in the management of common issues associated with a weak immune system including runny nose, inflamed eyes, nasal discharge, and congestion. Tomlyn promises that this supplement was formulated with picky eaters in mind.
It comes with chicken and fish flavor in powder form, which makes it easier for your pets to consume. This supplement also underwent testing under the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC) to assure you that your beloved cats are only getting the best.
- L-Lysine that supports eye health, a stronger immune system, and optimum respiratory health
- Great tasting chicken and fish flavors
- Comes with an NASC seal of approval
This Omega 3 Fish Oil promises to help keep your cat’s skin, joints, and heart at optimum health. Bonnie and Clyde Pet Goods claims that this supplement is free of heavy metals and toxins. This claim comes in certification after independent testing by the International Fish Oil Standards program.
This fish oil supplement contains 22% more EPA and DHA compared to other salmon oil brands out in the market. Aside from providing your pets only high-quality fish oil, this product also contains vitamin E. Omega 3 oil is best known for reducing the amount of vitamin E in your furry friends’ body.
It is the reason why Bonnie and Clyde decided to balance it out by incorporating this essential vitamin, which is popular for supporting muscle, liver and heart health. If you are wondering, the vitamin E included is also non-GMO and comes in soy-free.
- High-quality fish oil
- Includes Vitamin E
- Tested by the International Fish Oil Standards program
Simien Pets’ supplement claims that it is an all-in-one solution to improve your beloved cat’s health. This supplement comes with all the vitamins and minerals your cat needs. It provides support for a healthier hip and joint with its ingredients like Glucosamine HCL, probiotics, and antioxidants like rosemary extract, sage extract, and chicory root. This supplement also comes with vitamins like calcium carbonate, vitamin E, riboflavin, and vitamin A, and minerals like potassium chloride, copper sulfate, and iron proteinate.
If you have a picky furry little one, this supplement is a great choice. It is easy to use, comes with great taste and does not require refrigeration. Also, it is best for any age, which will save you from buying separate supplements for your puppies, kitties or aging cats and dogs.
- Probiotics and enzymes for digestion and stronger immune system
- Anti-inflammatory to support hip and joint health
- Vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for healthy coat, skin, and bones
If you have an aging cat at home, this supplement is what you need to keep its joints healthy. This supplement claims that it can help in maintaining optimal joint function for cats. It is best for your feline friends who are at a late age and are having trouble moving around.
A Cosequin capsule contains Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate, and Manganese. This supplement underwent peer-reviewed studies to prove its effectiveness, which all found that it supports the production of cartilage and shields existing cartilage from breakdown.
Urinary bladder health was also found as another benefit from taking this supplement. In case you are wondering about its taste, the Cosequin for Cats comes with natural chicken- and tuna-flavored capsules flavored to suit the taste of your feline friend.
- Supports hip and joint health
- Helps maintain urinary bladder health
- Comes with natural tasting chicken- and tuna-flavored capsules
Cat parents looking the best iron supplement should consider this offering from PRN Phamacal. It is voted as an “Amazon Choice” in the iron supplements category. Such is a testament that it is a preferred option among pet owners.
Pet guardians whose cats are suffering from anemia have seen their furry family members recover from low weight and lack of appetite by using this supplement.
This supplement helps in promoting growth in cats by correcting nutritional deficiencies caused by inadequate nutritional intake or significant loss of nutrients.
- Vitamin B Complex
- Amino Acids
The Feline Greenies is the way to go if you are looking for a supplement approved by veterinarians, made from natural ingredients and comes in flavors like chicken, tuna and salmon.
This supplement is for those cat parents who want their fur friends to always have a clean and healthy mouth. This flavored treat comes in unique shape and texture designed to clean teeth and reduce the formation of tartar.
Also, the formulation of this supplement makes your cat’s breathe fresher so you can play with them more. This product also promises minimal hairball formation and healthy digestion on top of all the benefits mentioned earlier.
- A wide variety of flavors ranging from chicken, tuna, catnip, and salmon
- Effective in cleaning teeth and reducing tartar
- Made from natural ingredients
- Infused with vitamins and minerals
Better nutrition is key to living a long and healthy life. That is how Life Extension wants pet parents to see this supplement. The Cat Mix is an advanced multi-formula that contains green tea extract, vitamins C and E, thiamine, riboflavin, folic acid, amino acids, and essential fatty acids.
The formulation of these vitamins and minerals ensure that they meet the unique nutritional needs of your little fur friends so that they can maintain their health. Two scoops of this supplement provide your cats the vitamins they need to energize them throughout the day.
Life Extension also made sure that all the ingredients used to make this supplement came from high-quality sources that make it even fit for human consumption.
- Contains a wide range of vitamins
- Contains amino acids, flavonoids, probiotics, essential fatty acids and probiotics
- Has arginine to protect your cat’s kidneys and keep a healthy gut
Liver diseases can easily impact your pet’s health. As such, it is a must to take proper care of their liver. This supplement from Nutramax Laboratories provides support in maintaining a healthy liver function for your cat.
It contains healthy levels of antioxidants, glutathione, to serve as the liver’s first line of defense when attacked by foreign bodies. Nutramax claims that this is best for aging and cats who need an extra layer of protection against the effects of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) used in the management of arthritis.
- Glutathione as the first line of defense for your cat’s liver
- Supports a healthy liver function for aging cats
Skin problems may be one of the most irritating issues with your cats and yourself as well. This issue can have them scratching all the time, leaving them with wounds rather than going through the healing process faster. However, this solution from Makondo Pets promises to provide a solution to common skin problems like allergies, hot spots, dry and itchy skin, and excessive shedding.
This supplement contains vitamins, minerals, fish oil, omegas, and amino acids to help your cat easily get rid of or protect themselves against common skin issues. The Skin and Coat supplement also offer full protection for your fur babies. It comes with protection that helps fight bacterial and fungal infections, ticks, mites, fleas, and lice.
It also offers your cat extra support to maintain a strong immune system, limit chances of inflammation of the skin, reduce dull coats, and provides support for optimum eye health.
- Effective in reducing common skin problems in cats
- Provides a shiny, soft and resistant coat
- Contains a wide range of supplements including essential fish oils, fatty omega acids, amino acids and important vitamins for cats
You should only give high-quality and effective products for furry family members who are pregnant or just gave birth to new members of the household. That’s exactly what this Momma-Nursing and Recovery supplement is all about.
It was made with ingredients that support your pets while they are breeding, pregnant, whelping and nursing. This supplement comes with antioxidants that help in recovery after giving birth, and herbal extracts that promote milk production.
It is also the first choice among breeders as it also prepares your pet for the next cycle of reproduction with the included vitamin and minerals that support optimal reproductive health.
- Contains essential postnatal supplements needed by lactating pet mothers
- Made with herbal ingredients that help stimulate the production of milk
- Comes with antioxidants that help with the recovery process
- Includes reproductive hormones that prepare the mother for the next gestation
The Immune Support L-Lysine supplement from Tomlyn is the best cat vitamin and supplements on this list. It contains L-Lysine that helps in keeping your cat’s health, immune system and respiratory system at its best level. It also comes in flavors that can convince even the pickiest eater among cats. This supplement comes in chicken and fish flavors and was made from high-quality ingredients as certified by the National Animal Supplement Council. Users who swear by the effectiveness of this product said that it was what helped their little fur babies to easily recover from different issues including having a weak immune system, respiratory infections, and eye problems. They add that it also not difficult to feed it to their cats. One cat parent claimed that one of their picky cats enjoyed taking this supplement among others they tested.
Those who want more options of the best in this list should also try the Liqui-Tinic from PRN Pharmacal and the Life Extension Cat Mix. These supplements come in behind the Immune Support supplement. The former packs all the needed vitamins and minerals by cats while the Cat Mix offers a wide range of vitamins and minerals.
However, you should check with your veterinarian on what vitamins your fur baby needs. The best vitamin and supplement is still the one that can deliver those vitamins and minerals it cannot get from eating the cat food you gave it on a daily basis.
Things to Look For in a Cat Vitamin and Supplement
Today, more people are spending to give their feline friends the best life they can offer. And it is rightfully so. The furry members of your family provide you all the love they can give. Given such, it is only the right thing that you, as a pet parent, give them all the best as if you are caring for a human family member.
High-quality products are especially preferred when you are choosing products to maintain or improve their health. They only deserve those that pack all the essential cat vitamins, are made from natural ingredients and comes with a great flavor. But how do you know if a product contains all that your cat needs? Here are some factors you should consider before buying the best cat vitamins and supplements:
Know Whether you Cat Needs a Specific Kind of Supplement
The growing market for cat supplements gave birth to a wide range of choices for cat parents. This development is a nice one but it also makes deciding which one is the best for your fur animal. There are three types of cat supplements, which are as follows:
- General supplements – these are the most common supplements as they come in single or multivitamin varieties. Cat food with all the essential vitamins and minerals needed by your feline friend is an example of this type.
- Probiotics – this supplement is good for promoting digestive health. It contains good bacteria like Lactobacillus acidophillus or Lactobacillus casei to help in regulating the growth of bad bacterias in the body.
- Essential fatty acids – these supplements are packed with the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that keep your cat’s coat shining at all times. It also offers support in maintaining the health of the liver, joints, brain and immune system. Omega 6 acid is commonly found in most cat foods.
Research the Difference Between Cat Supplements and Nutraceuticals
Supplements provide your little friend a way to balance and recovery the nutrients he did not have from food or those nutrients he lost due to varying reasons. On the other hand, nutraceuticals is defined as natural remedy to supplement the lacking from what your cat can get from the food it eats. The Pet Food Institute best described nutraceuticals when it said that such is a preventive measure and not a drug nor a supplement.
Which Supplements to Avoid
Veterinarians recommend staying away from supplements that contain the following ingredients and are available in the market:
- Vitamin C – too much of this vitamin in cats leads to overly acidic urine that can develop to crystal formation and blockage.
- Garlic – cats can develop anemia as garlic is known to kill red blood cells.
- Onion – also causes anemia as it contains properties that destroy red blood cells.
- Calcium – too toxic for cat’s health
- Vitamin D – also toxic for a cat
These factors are important when buying supplements for your cats. It is a must to do research on what is effective for your cat’s needs and whether the supplement in your shortlist contains all the important ingredients that can provide a better health status for your beloved cat.
We are the Pet Cat Friends, a dedicated group of pet loving bloggers and product testers for all your meowy needs. We research, test, and review cat related products with the help of our collective 21 cats. Feel free to leave us feedback and treats!