Top 7 Best hypoallergenic Cat Foods of 2020
- Our Top 7 List
- 1. Purina Pro Plan Skin & Stomach Adult Cat Food
- 2. Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food for Sensitive Stomach & Skin
- 3. Blue Buffalo Natural Indoor hypoallergenic Cat Food
- 4. I and love and you – Allergy-Safe Cat Food
- 5. Blue Basics Diet Adult Indoor Wet Cat Food
- 6. Instinct Original Recipe Natural Wet Allergic Cat Food
- 7. Halo Natural Cat Food for Sensitive Stomachs
- Top 7 Verdict
- Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach
As pet parents, one of our top priorities is to provide our furry companions with the best food possible to keep them happy and healthy. When it comes to pets with special dietary needs, that goal becomes even more necessary, but it can be quite the struggle to figure out which food is right for them.
If your cat gets sick after each meal or scratches incessantly, leaving raw skin and bald patches in their wake, and your vet has ruled out any severe conditions, you should ask for allergy testing. If your cat is indeed having an allergic reaction to their food, you should try hypoallergenic food to see if your cat could find some relief from their symptoms without needing a prescription.
We’ve researched the best foods on the market to help you take some of the guesswork out of finding the best food for your allergic feline companion. When you find the perfect fit, your cat’s digestive issues may become a thing of the past, and any skin issues like dandruff or itchy spots can disappear as well, leaving kitty with healthy skin and a lustrous coat!
Our Top 7 List
Last update on 2020-04-01 at 07:44 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Purina Pro Plan Skin & Stomach Adult Cat Food
This food is excellent for cats with both sensitive stomachs and sensitive skin, which makes it a fantastic choice for multi-cat households where two or more cats have allergies. This food isn’t just easily digestible; it’s also filled with ingredients that promote a healthy digestive and immune system.
Pet owners agree that this food stops digestive issues in their tracks and drastically improves the condition of their cat’s skin and coat. It must taste great, too, because even the most finicky kitties gobble up this recipe. Whether your cat has been experiencing vomiting or diarrhea, or they have itchy skin and a dull coat, this may be the right food should end their discomfort.
- Lamb is it’s #1 ingredient– You can’t go wrong with such a high-quality source of protein.
- It has been formulated with 40% protein, which means there’s no need for fillers or artificial ingredients.
- Ingredients such as rice and oatmeal make this food gentle on sensitive bellies and can stop diarrhea and vomiting.
- It also contains omega-6 fatty acids and zinc for healthy skin and coat, which makes it great for cats suffering from itchy skin caused by allergies.
- Purina has included a natural prebiotic fiber and antioxidants to promote a healthy digestive and immune system.
2. Hill’s Science Diet Cat Food for Sensitive Stomach & Skin
Hill’s brand is known for its high-quality ingredients, so it makes sense that its hypoallergenic food is a great option for cats with skin and stomach sensitivities. This food is made primarily from pork and chicken and contains prebiotic fiber that helps the beneficial gut bacterias flourish to promote a healthy digestive system. The addition of vitamin E and omega-6 fatty acids helps to nourish your cat’s skin and support a healthy, supple coat.
Pet owners say that although it doesn’t entirely put a stop to digestive issues, it does make a marked improvement in skin health and coat quality. If your cat suffers more from itchy skin than a sensitive stomach, this food could be a good fit.
- This formula comes with a veterinarian seal of approval.
- Highly digestible for optimal absorption of nutrients and easy stool pick-up.
- Hill’s is made in the USA with natural ingredients sourced worldwide.
3. Blue Buffalo Natural Indoor hypoallergenic Cat Food
Blue Basics is a limited-ingredient line of cat food that minimizes food sensitivities by only including one source of protein animal for your cat to digest. The indoor formula, made with whitefish, tapioca, peas, potatoes, and pumpkin, contains no wheat, dairy, soy, or eggs, which makes it easy on sensitive bellies.
Pet owners rave about the renewed energy in their kitties after eating this food. The formula is also such high-quality that the waste left over after the digestive process is significantly less than that of typical pet food, and you know what that means– Less poo in the litterbox!
Blue Buffalo Basics Grain-Free is an excellent go-to food when you’ve just started the elimination process to figure out what your cat’s allergies are. Many cats tend to have an adverse reaction to poultry and corn, so starting with a food that has whitefish as its animal protein and potatoes as its primary source of carbohydrates should offer quick relief.
- Premium quality pet food that features meat, fruit, and vegetables.
- Whitefish is the main ingredient in this single animal protein recipe.
- Formulated with the special dietary needs of indoor cats in mind to help promote healthy weight and digestion.
- Contains a proprietary blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants hand-picked by holistic veterinarians to support a healthy immune system.
- No artificial flavors or preservatives.
4. I and love and you – Allergy-Safe Cat Food
Grain-free and protein-packed, this all-natural wet cat food is top of the line. It’s chocked full of deboned meat, real fruits, and vegetables and never includes any artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Cats and kittens alike can enjoy this pate-style food for a tasty treat.
Pet owners like the healthy ingredients and say that even the pickiest cats love the flavor so much that they beg for their food daily. I and Love and You Naked Essentials is an excellent option for cats who prefer wet food or that need to have more liquids in their diet.
- Formulated to meet the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
- Produced and packaged in the USA.
- No by-products or carrageenan.
- Naturally sourced omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
5. Blue Basics Diet Adult Indoor Wet Cat Food
Like their dry food, this Blue Basics wet cat food offers a single animal protein source. It comes in three different flavors (duck, fish, and turkey) to appease picky eaters and keep allergens at bay. Formulated with easy to digest carbohydrates such as peas, potatoes, and pumpkin, this is an excellent choice for sensitive bellies.
Pet owners say it works quickly to eliminate both digestive and skin-related allergic reactions, but the most finicky eaters may not enjoy the flavor on this one as much as other foods.
Blue Basics Limited is a fantastic wet food to use at the beginning of the elimination process. Once your cat stops showing signs of an allergic reaction, you will be able to try adding different ingredients to their diet while watching for symptoms of allergies returning.
- This food features animal protein as its main ingredient.
- There are no chicken by-products, corn, wheat, or soy included in the formula.
- There are never any preservatives, artificial flavors or colors present.
- Flaxseed provides an all-natural source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat.
6. Instinct Original Recipe Natural Wet Allergic Cat Food
This raw-inspired wet cat food is made with 95% wild-caught salmon and pork liver as well as fruit, vegetables, and other healthy ingredients to enhance the flavor and nutritional value. It is a high-protein food that contains no grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, or carrageenan because they are known to trigger food sensitivities in many cats. It is available in a variety of flavors, such as cage-free duck, cage-free chicken, USA-raised beef, farm-raised rabbit, grass-fed lamb, grass-fed venison, and wild-caught salmon.
Although pet owners say this food is effective at clearing up allergic reactions, it appears to be a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to whether or not the cats themselves enjoy it. It seems that some love it so much that they become obsessed with feeding time while others hate it to the point where they shove it to the back of their dish.
Depending on your cat’s taste buds, Instinct Grain-Free could be an excellent choice for cats on a low-fat diet since there are no carbohydrates or other fillers in this formula, just lots of high-quality protein to support lean muscles.
- Responsibly-sourced meat is the #1 ingredient in each flavor.
- There are no artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or fillers.
- This formula provides complete, balanced nutrition for all adult cats (seniors included) and kittens.
- The Instinct brand is made in the USA with best ingredients source from all around the world.
- This pate- style food can be served as a meal or topper.
7. Halo Natural Cat Food for Sensitive Stomachs
Halo focuses on holistic pet food that is made responsibly from real ingredients. This company sources its meat from ranchers and farmers who use natural feeds and only use wild-caught seafood from sustainable fisheries. Whole fish (no rendered “meal” products here), grains, and non-GMO vegetables support easy digestion, and a proprietary blend of non-GMO plants and vitamin E oil make this food an excellent choice for cats suffering from itchy skin and a dull coat.
Pet owners say that Halo eliminates digestive and skin issues related to food allergies, improves their cat’s energy levels, and reduces the amount of poo in the litterbox due to its high-quality ingredients. Cats do not seem to enjoy this food as much as their owners, however, which can make dinner time a bit of a struggle. If you are as concerned about the impact your cat’s food has on the planet as its impact on your cat’s health, this may be the right food for your cat.
- Whole meat is always the #1 ingredient in the Halo formula.
- There are a wide variety of recipes for special diets, such as kitten, indoor cat, senior, grain-free.
- Halo takes a holistic approach when sourcing ingredients, creating recipes and determining the nutritional value of their products.
When it comes to the health of your favorite feline, you want to be sure you’re making the best decisions possible. Each of the hypoallergenic cat foods in this article has great benefits, and they all seem to be reasonably effective when it comes to reducing or eliminating the symptoms associated with food allergies.
Still, it’s our opinion that Purina Pro Plan Focus Sensitive Skin & Stomach is the best option out there. Not only does it ease digestive issues and heal itchy irritated skin, but pet owners across the board also say their cats love it. For a happy, healthy cat, there’s no better choice.
How do I know if my cat is allergic?
If your cat displays signs of allergies (i.e., sneezing, snoring, itchy skin, watery eyes, and diarrhea, to name a few), you’ll need to go through the process of elimination to determine what ingredient is causing the reactions. It can be a lengthy process, but when you get it all figured out, your happy, healthy feline will be well worth the struggle.
Which cat food ingredients cause allergic reactions?
Since all cats are different, there’s no definitive list of ingredients that can cause these allergic reactions– literally, anything could cause them. Fortunately, experts have identified a handful of ingredients have a higher likelihood of causing a reaction; thus, manufacturers of hypoallergenic foods create food that is safe for the majority of felines.
Two of the most prominent allergy-causing ingredients found in regular cat foods are grains and dairy. Cats are just not made to eat grains, so their digestive systems balk when they try to break down these products, leading to all kinds of gastrointestinal upset in kitty’s belly. The same is true of dairy products; adult cats don’t have the proper enzymes needed to break down the lactose, which leads to allergic reactions.
Of course, there are a plethora of other ingredients that can be difficult for cats to digest, such as too much fat content, artificial ingredients, and certain preservatives in lower-quality cat food. If you’re feeding your cat a high-quality food and they are exhibiting signs of an allergic reaction, beef, lamb, or certain types of seafood might be the cause as these proteins are more difficult for cats to process than meats like duck or venison.
What is food for cats with allergies?
Hypoallergenic cat food often contains ingredients that rarely cause allergic reactions, like hydrolyzed proteins. That doesn’t mean that the food is 100% allergen-free, but that it should be easier for cats to digest than food that contains other types of protein. Since the food is easier to process, most cats won’t have an allergic reaction to it
Which hypoallergenic food is right for my cat?
If you’ve recently discovered that your cat is allergic to their food, you may be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all of the hypoallergenic products on the market. How do you know which one will be right for your cat? Before you make a purchase, there are a few things you should consider.
Wet vs. dry
While dry food is usually cheaper, you may want to consider a wet food option if you have a picky eater who is entirely uninterested in their new dietary restrictions. The extra liquid in this type of food can also aid in digestion and therefore make it easier for you to process.
While all hypoallergenic foods eliminate the big triggers like grains and dairy, you may want to look at switching protein sources altogether. If your cat reacts to beef or chicken, changing to a product made with venison or duck might be just what they need to get relief.
A limited-ingredient food is one that eliminates the most common allergens and also keeps the number of ingredients in the food low. Choosing this type of food can be extremely helpful at the beginning of the elimination process as it should instantly remove triggering products from your cat’s diet. When the allergic reaction has subsided, you can try adding different types of proteins back into their diet and will know right away which new addition (if any) your cat reacts to.
We are the Pet Cat Friends, a dedicated group of pet loving bloggers and product testers for all your meowy needs. We research, test, and review cat related products with the help of our collective 21 cats. Feel free to leave us feedback and treats!