Top 6 Best Cat Flea Collars 2020
- Our Top 6 List
- 1. Seresto Flea and Tick Prevention for Cats
- 2. SOBAKEN Flea and Tick Prevention for Cats
- 3. Rolf Club 3D FLEA Collar for Cats
- 4. Dr. Mercola Herbal Repellent Collar For Cats & Kittens
- 5. Arava Flea & Tick Prevention Collar for Cats & Kittens
- 6. Only Natural Flea & Tick Control Collar Tag
- Top 6 Verdict
- Bayer Seresto Flea & Tick Collar
- Selecting the Best Collar: What to Look For
- Natural vs. Not Natural
- Appropriate Age and Size
- Safety Features
- Duration of Protection
- “Multi-pest” is Best
It’s more than just frustrating when your beloved fluff ball becomes a host for fleas. While your cat suffers from severe itchiness and discomfort, the constant scratching is enough to drive both the cat and their owners crazy at the same time. Worse, fleas are often followed by unpleasant friends like ticks, mites, and even mosquitoes, which can infect your cat with heartworm disease.
Finding an effective routine for flea and tick prevention is the key to keeping your cat (and yourself!) happy and comfortable. Topical drops can be irritating for many cats, and they can be downright frustrating for owners to try to apply each month. A safe, effective, and long-lasting collar can be the best choice for many cats, but selecting from the hundreds available on the market can seem daunting without some guidance from the experts.
Our Top 6 List
Last update on 2020-02-25 at 22:47 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. Seresto Flea and Tick Prevention for Cats
If you have multiple cats and are looking for value and quality combined in one magnificent multipack, the Seresto flea and tick collar by Bayer may be the perfect choice for your feline family. We can’t get around placing this on our #1 spot, not only because of the quality you get here but because our website-whiz tells us that around 100,000 people search for this collar every month on Google. Hence, you would not be alone in finding this to be the top collar choice for flea control and prevention.
However, quality comes with a price, and the cost of the Seresto 3-pack may seem steep compared to other collars until you consider the benefit of purchasing in bulk, especially in households with more than one cat. Plus, they work better. A cheap flea collar that doesn’t do its job is no good in the end.
Each collar lasts for 8 months from application and works well against fleas, flea larvae, and ticks. Odorless, flexible, and free of the greasy feeling of many other flea collars, the Seresto collar is the top veterinarian-recommended choice.
- 3-pack deal pushes the price down and makes this ideal for multicat households
- Each collar is packaged separately and tested to last for 8 months of use (5 years shelf life)
- Flexible and easily adjustable for a custom fit with a breakaway section for safety
- Each collar comes with reflectors that are the perfect addition for an outdoor cat’s collar
- May not last as long if the collar frequently gets wet
2. SOBAKEN Flea and Tick Prevention for Cats
If you would like to benefit your pet while also giving to charity, the SOBAKEN flea and tick collar may be the one you choose so that $3 of your purchase can be donated to organizations that help provide aid to animals. The nontoxic and hypoallergenic formula used is safe and effective for cats as young as 3 months old, and the collar can be left with extra length to allow for the growth of your cat into adulthood. While some flea collars or topical drops are known for causing skin reactions, this collar is a gentle choice for even the most sensitive of cats.
This 100% natural product offers reliable protection against fleas, flea larvae, and ticks, as well as provides additional protection against sarcoptic mange and chewing lice. You may find this the most economic option for the cost in addition to the 8 months of provided protection, charity donation, and lifetime warranty that is offered with each collar’s purchase.
- 100% natural, safe, hypoallergenic formula
- Water resistant to offer continued protection even if the collar gets wet
- Gentle and adjustable, making it a safe collar choice for kittens as young as 3 months old
- Some owners report that the collar’s smell that bothers them, though not all cats seem upset by the odor
3. Rolf Club 3D FLEA Collar for Cats
Utilizing a unique formula from Germany that targets adult parasites as well as their eggs and larvae, the Rolf Club 3D flea collar offers up to 8 months of protection from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. If you are like most pet owners, a month can fly by without you even realizing it, and this long-lasting collar guarantees reliable protection for a minimum of 6 months so you do not have to worry about your cat attracting creepy crawlers into your home.
Your cat will love that this collar is odorless and flexible, and the medication is stored within the material of the collar so that the collar is as safe as possible for your feline friends. This collar is feline friendly and friendly to your wallet while offering effective flea and tick control for a budget-safe cost.
- Each collar lasts for at least 6 months but may last for up to 8 months
- Begins killing fleas within 24-48 hours for fast relief for itchy cats
- Waterproof so that they do not lose effectiveness if the collar gets wet
- Though labeled as giving protection from mosquitoes, user experience with this varies widely
4. Dr. Mercola Herbal Repellent Collar For Cats & Kittens
When you want to provide a natural and toxin-free flea prevention for your feline family members without worrying about harsh chemicals or hidden toxins, you can rest easy knowing that you have found exactly that with Dr. Mercola’s herbal repellent collar. This collar was created utilizing a special blend of essential oils that prevent fleas, ticks, or mosquitoes from bothering your cat while paying respect to Dr. Mercola’s deeply rooted personal belief that all pets deserve the best quality products. This hypoallergenic formula is safe for cats with allergies, senior cats, and kittens.
This collar lasts for 4 months of use, and though this is a shorter time frame than some other collars offer, this is because it does not contain synthetic preservatives to make it last longer. The essential oil from the geranium flower is used to repel mosquitoes, while the wintergreen oil and the distilled oils from the evergreen plant provide overall insect repellent, and the almond oil soothes your pet’s skin and offers a pleasant fragrance. This organic choice does not kill parasites that are currently bothering your cat, but it offers a safe and toxin-free protection once living parasites are removed.
- Protects against fleas with a 100% natural and nontoxic formula utilizing essential oils
- Active ingredients are diffused over the life of the collar from within the collar’s material
- Offers effective flea and tick protection for up to 4 months of use
- Does not kill fleas or ticks so this product requires the use of a topical product at the same time to kill parasites if they are already present
- Being easily broken or removed by more agile cats makes these collars unsuitable for outdoor cats
5. Arava Flea & Tick Prevention Collar for Cats & Kittens
Keeping your pet safe from parasites and from toxic and hazardous pesticides is easy with the Arava flea and tick prevention collar created from natural ingredients that utilizes herbal ingredients and essential oils to protect your cat from fleas, ticks, and other insects. This collar is MSDS tested and FDA approved for effective flea and tick control while using safe, nontoxic ingredients, and this makes the Arava collar one of the safest choices on the market for cats and owners alike. This collar is safe for cats and kittens of all ages without concern for adverse side effects.
A unique technology called micro-injection is used when creating this collar that allows it to last naturally for up to 6 months. This process of infusing the collars with the essential oils allows them to then be diffused slowly through the microscopic pores in the surface of the collar, and the continued soothing scent with provide consistent repelling action against many insect species. A portion of the proceeds from each sale is donated to organizations that benefit the habitat and welfare of animals.
- Provides a natural repellent against up to 500 species of insects
- Completely natural and FDA certified to be free of hazardous chemicals
- If the natural fragrance of the collar bothers you or your cat, you can leave the collar outside after opening it for 24-48 hours to allow the smell to settle
- This collar only repels and doesn’t kill fleas or ticks, so the presence of living parasites will require additional treatment
- Many cats and owners find the smell of the essential oils used to be overwhelming
6. Only Natural Flea & Tick Control Collar Tag
If your pet already wears a collar comfortably, you can get a secondary use out of it as a holder for this collar tag. It uses holistic technology to protect your cat from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes naturally in a noninvasive way. Some cats are very sensitive to wearing flea collars, and this offers an option to clip the protection to the regular collar your cat already wears.
This collar tag uses your cat’s own energy frequencies to repel pests and begins working in 3 weeks to provide up a year of protection for your feline friend. Each tag is treated through bio-energetic process and is shipped in a magnetic-shielded envelope for security and to ensure it will continue to work as expected. As a chemical-free option, this tag is great for cats with allergies or extreme sensitivities to traditional flea collars.
- Free of chemicals, providing an energy-based repelling shield
- A tag means that there is no additional collar to bother your cat’s neck
- Provides up to a year of protection from fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes
- Takes 3 weeks to reach its highest effect
- Should not get wet for the first 4 weeks of use (afterwards it is fine to get wet, however)
Top 6 Verdict
Though there are seemingly countless flea and tick collars available on the market that may make it seem impossible to choose, there is a clear winner when it comes to quality. The Seresto collar by Bayer is the top recommendation from veterinarians and offers safe and effective protection for up to 8 months.
Selecting the Best Collar: What to Look For
Not all collars are created equally, and not all collars labeled for cats are as safe as they could (and should) be. Choosing a flea and tick prevention collar for your cat consists of a few key factors to consider to get the best protection. When it comes to your pet’s care, you are their best and most important advocate. Your cat is a member of the family, and just like a child does, your cat relies on you to make the best decisions for their safety and health!
Natural vs. Not Natural
For some cat owners, choosing a natural or organic product is a necessity, but many cat owners select for quality before considering whether a product is made from natural ingredients or not. This choice is a personal one that has no right answer as long as the collar chosen has been evaluated for safety.
It is important to select a collar from a reputable company regardless of whether you choose a natural product as there are some unsafe options that can be found with natural ingredients as well. Checking which natural ingredients are utilized is also important, as some stronger essential oils can be irritating to a cat’s delicate respiratory systems.
Appropriate Age and Size
Not all collars are safe for cats of all ages, and this is one of the most important things to check for when picking a flea and tick collar. Choosing a collar that is appropriate for the age and size of your cat is extremely important in keeping your cat safe, because collars that are strictly labeled for adult cats only or large feline only can be dangerously potent when applied to a kitten or very petite cat.
The ingredients and where they are found in the collar are often overlooked. Collars that have the active ingredients on the outside of the collar instead of within the collar’s material may not be the safest option for cats living with other pets or children. Ingredients should be listed openly and not hidden within the product’s packaging, and while pesticides are needed to effectively kill parasites, the ingredients should be tested and labeled for safety.
Cats are agile creatures that are known for getting into strange and questionable positions, so a collar should be a flexible material with an adjustable fit to prevent the collar being loose enough for the cat to chew or get stuck on things. Ideally, especially when using flea collars on outdoor cats, the collar should have a portion that can break when enough pressure is applied (frequently referred to as a “breakaway collar”) in case of emergency.
Duration of Protection
Monthly collars are out, and long-lasting collars are in! There are too many high-quality collars available that offer protection for as many as 8 months to use a collar that needs to be changed out every month, so it is important to evaluate how long the collar will last and whether that is affected by water or outdoor wear when selecting your cat’s flea and tick prevention
“Multi-pest” is Best
While fleas and ticks are the primary irritant that owners are aware of, there are many pesky parasites that can bother your cat without you even knowing. Microscopic mites can cause hair loss and skin infections. Mosquitoes can carry heartworm disease, a life-threatening illness that has no treatment in cats. Selecting a collar that offers additional protection can offer additional relief.
We are the Pet Cat Friends, a dedicated group of pet loving bloggers and product testers for all your meowy needs. We research, test, and review cat related products with the help of our collective 21 cats. Feel free to leave us feedback and treats!